This accessibility statement is current as of June 2021.
Accessibility statement for the Make-A-Wish Canada website
Measures to support accessibility
Make-A-Wish Canada takes the following measures to ensure accessibility of the Make-A-Wish Canada website:
- Include accessibility as part of our core values.
- Integrate accessibility into our procurement practices.
- Provide continual accessibility training for our staff.
- Assign clear accessibility goals and responsibilities.
- Include people with disabilities in our design personas.
- Designate staff responsibility for accessibility.
- Employ formal accessibility quality assurance methods.
- Employ third party accessibility audits.
Accessibility audit process
In June 2021, we underwent an accessibility audit process that involved a technical and experiential audit conducted by Mugo Web. It was audited technically using the Siteimprove Chrome extension and the Wave Accessibility Improvement Firefox extension. We also manually navigated pages using tools such as the keyboard and screen readers. Following from this audit, we took effort to remediate the issues found and to review new site features for accessibility issues moving forward.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. The Make-A-Wish Canada website is partially conformant with WCAG 2.0 level AA. Partially conformant means that a few parts of the content do not fully conform to the accessibility standard. We are aware of these limitations (please see Limitations and Alternatives section), and we have been working to mitigate them as soon as possible.
We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of the Make-A-Wish Canada website. Please let us know if you encounter any accessibility barriers on our site:
Toll Free: 1-888-822-9474
Visitor Address: 4211 Yonge Street, Suite 520 Toronto, ON M2P 2A9
We aim to respond to feedback within 3 business days.
Compatibility with browsers and assistive technology
The Make-A-Wish Canada website is designed to be compatible with the following assistive technologies:
- Firefox/Chrome/Safari with Voice Over on MacOS and iOS.
- Firefox/Chrome/Edge with NVDA on Windows.
- Chrome with Talkback on Android.
Accessibility of the Make-A-Wish Canada website relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
- PDF files
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
Limitations and alternatives
Despite our best efforts to ensure accessibility of the Make-A-Wish Canada website, there may be some limitations. Below is a description of known limitations, and potential solutions. Please contact us if you observe an issue not listed below.
Known limitations for the Make-A-Wish Canada website:
- YouTube videos: Videos currently do not have transcripts. We are currently preparing transcripts for all of our videos. YouTube auto captions are currently functional. If needed, please contact us for further information.
- Banner slider on the home page: Keyboard navigation may not be consistent because we have used a third-party plugin to create the slider feature, and this plugin is not accessible out of the box. We have remediated this limitation with some code changes, but there is still more testing to be done.
Please access the media and publications page to see the most recent Make-A-Wish Canada content, or contact us for further information.