Make-A-Wish® creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We seek to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight their illness.
Make-A-Wish® Canada is an affiliate of Make-A-Wish® International, the largest wish-granting organization in the world, making dreams and wishes come true for more than 500,000 children since 1980.
Join our team as an:
Executive Vice President Finance and Operations
Greater Toronto Area
Reference #: MW001
- Develops and provides strategic direction for the Finance and Operations portfolio (including Finance, Information Technology and Integration), which is in alignment with the organization’s strategic and business plans.
- Responsible for the financial stewardship of the organization, including financial reporting on $35 million budget; investment strategy; asset management; internal and external audits; manage the financial risks for the organization; and manage cash flow to ensure availability of funds as required.
- Actively monitors and analyzes financial and operational performance throughout the year and provides analysis for accurate and appropriate financial reporting, planning and decision making including the financial feasibility of new projects and proposals.
- Supervision and preparation of the organization’s monthly and annual budget as well as timely, accurate, and appropriate financial reporting to meet the needs of the Foundation.
- Provides leadership support to the Finance Committee including preparation and presentation of the financial package with analysis and comments, complying with the terms of reference and present recommendations to the Committee. Engage the committee around issues, trends, and changes in operating model(s), and complex financial transactions and strategies.
- Oversees insurance program, legal matters, and contract and lease management. Negotiate complex agreements, and approves large expenditures such as, service agreements and capital expenditures.
- Accountable for reporting compliance with external regulatory agencies with respect to laws, statutes and regulations.
- Manages the treasury function including cash flow and investments as set out in the investment policy.
- Performs/oversees the internal audits for regional offices, as well as prepares and assists the annual national audit. Ensures compliance with audit, legal, and donor requirements including CRA and other provincial/federal regulations.
- Responsible for oversight and management of business continuity, disaster recovery and crisis management plans and respective testing of such plans.
- Works in collaboration with the CEO, and other National VPs and Directors to ensure adherence to MAWC’s Governance and Operational Policies and Procedures, as well as compliance with the organization’s license agreement with Make-A-Wish International (MAWFI).
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with stakeholders (National Office, Regional Offices, auditors, suppliers, service providers, and sponsors) to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of financial management and IT operations.
- Oversees the IT functionality of the organization including development, implementation and operations.
- Manages all expenses to the approved budget making efforts to minimize expenses and reduce administrative and fundraising ratios wherever possible.
- Responsible for the oversight of long-term integration efforts to ensure integration plans are aligned with plan and overall organizational direction.
- Oversight of a significant CRM transformation project
- Promotes collaboration and alignment, champions innovation and continuous improvement, and supports the sharing of best practices and the establishment of novel ways of working.
- Adheres to Imagine Canada’s Ethical Code
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act in the applicable province of employment and its regulations and complies with the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staff Management Accountabilities
- Recruits, engages and retains qualified employees to meet business priorities.
- Provides support and direction in the development, alignment and accomplishment of objectives through on-going performance feedback, recognition and coaching.
- Provides a safe and healthy work environment for team members and relevant stakeholders. Ensures they work in compliance with The Occupational Health & Safety Act in applicable province of employment, its regulations, and the Foundation’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Monitor department adherence to financial policies and controls. Determine expense projections as part of the budgeting and forecasting process. Authorize expenditures within approved guidelines. Monitor expenditures against budget and forecast and initiate appropriate remedial activity as required.
- University degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a senior financial management role, partnering with an executive team, with committees, boards and both volunteer leadership and team members.
- Professional designation, specifically CPA required.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing a significant operating portfolio, including finance, information systems, real estate and insurance, as well as leading and implementing large scale cross functional projects.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to interpret complex financial information for non-financial audience.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of compliance and a strong internal control environment.
- Strong leadership, coaching, and motivation skills to positively influence the performance of staff. Ability to work with and manage staff in multiple locations.
- Strong relationship management skills for managing relationships with key stakeholders and staff.
- Reputation for integrity, flexibility, openness, and sound judgement.
- Demonstrated success in realizing opportunities for continuous improvement and growth, as well as the ability to think and act strategically.
- Experience in leading organizations through transformational change (merger experience an asset).
- Experience in responsible fiscal and risk management leadership.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and CRM an asset.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- Advanced proficiency in Great Plains and Financial Edge.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, written and presentation skills.
- Bilingualism in French and English (written and verbal) is an asset.
- Office environment with occasional requirements to work outside of regular office hours
- Occasional day and overnight travel may be required to attend meetings and/or events
PHYSICAL & MENTAL EFFORT
- Works under pressure of tight deadlines, with high volume workload, and with multiple demands and changing priorities
- High degree of responsibility including financial, staff, and operational demands.
WHAT WE OFFER
Make-A-Wish Canada offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact. We are committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives, foster compassion and better humanity.
In return for your contributions, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are invited to send their resume and cover letter stating salary expectations, and quoting the reference Executive Vice President Finance and Operations, Posting MW001 in the subject line of the email by October 23, 2020, to:
Human Resources Department
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Make-A-Wish Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified persons. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.